ANDYVISION - watch me try to be creative. live.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Get Syked!

So apparently there's a new energy drink hitting the market. But only apparently.



Slam down the new made-for-web commerical:


Syke


Sounds awesome? Too bad. Syke is a fake out. Over the course of the next few months this stereotypical energy drink product will be revealed to be a metaphor for cigarettes. It's the newest stab at an anti-smoking initiative and comes from the Virginia Tobacco Settlement Foundation. Basically, it's the same thing that kicked off the ever so infamous Truth campaign in the early 2000. (I still remember when they brought a blackened human lung to our lunch area in 10th grade.)

Anyway, you should read the whole article over here in Richmond's Style Weekly. And check out the Syke site here.

So, what do you think? Will it work? Is it too prolonged and convoluted an effort to really reach kids? Or will it be a huge breakthrough? The effort reminds me of Truth. I wonder if the results will too. Perhaps it's too narrow an idea to continue on as long. Maybe not.

Also, that one spot sort of reminds me of this:


Power Thirst


I'm sure it's intentional. Maybe that's where the entire idea originated. I hope so.

No comments: